Searching the Word of God for the truth is a lifetime journey, and along the way the Holy Spirit will surprise you with little gems that show up unexpectedly. I have been reading and studying the Word for a long time and He never fails to amaze me … like He did yesterday morning.
Sometimes a little truth can have a profound impact. It reveals something that once again validates God’s plan for His creation … here is one to think about as we approach the birth of our Lord.
I have always looked at the meaning of numbers in the Bible as they relate to the context in which they are used. Here are some facts the Holy Spirit showed me about the number 14:
- The number 14 is used 22 times in the Bible; the term 14th is found 24 times.
- The number 14 in Proverbs represents “the fear of the Lord.”
- The14th day of the first month is the Passover when God delivered Israel from the death angel.
- Noah sent the dove out twice and waited a total of 14 days; showing that the earth was dry and started growing again.
- On the 14th day of the first month (Nisan) in 30 A.D. Jesus made His sacrifice for the redemption of mankind.
But here is something I had never seen before that was yet another reminder that God’s plan covers every detail. We know that the Messiah would come from the line of David and the Gospel of Matthew proves that Jesus met that requirement. But in His lineage the Father made sure that we would not miss the purpose of the Messiah.
There are 3 sets of 14 generations between Abraham and Joseph (Mary’s husband): Abraham to King David – King David to Josiah – Josiah to Joseph. And that fact reflects one of the key meanings of the number 14 … “Salvation or Deliverance.” Or put it another way: The number 7 represents completion … 7 +7 = 14 or “double completion” – (7) Jesus’ ministry in the flesh was completed and (7) His sacrifice ended the need for animal sacrifices.
Earth shattering … no. A miracle … no. Just a little reminder from the Father that everything in His Word is truth and that which has not yet been revealed will be. These little revelations in His Word beg the question … “Do You Believe?”